Thursday, December 27, 2007

D'Oh...

I can't believe I watched The Simpsons Movie before La Vie en Rose. Now I have the impossible task of trying to retrieve those feelings and memories. Sheesh. I'll do my best.

I didn't see this movie in theaters, and I didn't let my hopes get too high. They were really promoting the movie big-time, and everyone I know who saw it has raved about it. I mean, 20 years in the making - that's a tall order to fill. The Simpsons is one of my favorite shows ever. How could it not be? So I was both wary and excited when I put the DVD in tonight. And I hate to say it, but I was disappointed with the movie. There's just a reason it works best as a 22-minute episode. But the movie did outdo the TV show in one respect - the plot is excellent. I think the show has gotten kind of gimmicky and random in the recent years, and very hit or miss at that. (And for my money, no matter how much I love The Simpsons, no show does gimmicky and random better than Family Guy). The plot jumps all over the place on the show. There's more of a focus on the little gags and moments than the plot as a whole. There was definitely something tangible here in the movie. But it's sort of a catch-22. The plot is really phenomenal, but I think it's good at the expense of those random moments or slices of color.

I guess it's weird to both praise and criticize it for being random. The movie is really touching (something The Simpsons has always been better at than Family Guy - actually, Family Guy doesn't even try to be touching). The story is so solid, but I missed the little things. It's just not that funny. I wanted to laugh. And let me tell you, Spider Pig is just played out. I'm so sick of hearing that freaking Spider Pig song. There were some good parts, and the animation is just stellar. Maybe I'm being too hard on it. I did really like it, but I wanted to love it. After 20 years, can you blame me? And the fact that it took, like, 10 writers to come up with this is a bit cringe-inducing. I know it's a labor of love, and it shows. Also, it's impressive that virtually the entire film is voiced by the principle cast. I give them and everyone else involved an "A" for effort, for sure.

I just wanted more, not time-wise (it's plenty long), but more quality. I wish I was feeling yellow, but I just feel blue.

Rating: *** (out of 5)

No comments: