Sunday, January 13, 2008

2007: A Retrospective

Voilà! After much deliberation, I have finally compiled my list of the best films of 2007. There was a lot of switching and maneuvering, and I put a ton of thought into it. I took it very seriously, and I came up with 20, which I have ranked, starting with the best. The films this year were so great, though, that there's a really narrow margin between them. They practically all have the same rating, so I had to go with personal preference and other considerations for ranking purposes. It was difficult, but it was worth it. So, here it is, finally. Enjoy!

1. Juno
2. No Country for Old Men
3. After the Wedding
4. Atonement
5. Black Book
6. Into the Wild
7. Once
8. L'Iceberg
9. Superbad
10. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
11. Planet Terror
12. Waitress
13. Stephanie Daley
14. There Will Be Blood
15. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
16. Sicko
17. Enchanted
18. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
19. La Vie en Rose
20. Ratatouille


Honorable Mention: I Served the King of England - I saw this brilliant Czech film by legendary director Jiri Menzel at Cannes in 2007, but I heard it was going to be released in the U.S. in 2008. I have to follow my own rules and go by the U.S. release date. It'll definitely be on my 2008 list if it really comes out. Had I put it on this year's list, it would have ranked high, not top 10, but close. So, I wanted to give it an honorable mention just in case it doesn't get released here.

No comments: