Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Accio An Extra Harry Potter Film!

Wow, my spell must have worked, because magical dreaming and speculation has turned into reality. And yes, I know this post is extremely belated, but so what? Big whoop. Wanna fight about it? If you're not familiar with Family Guy, you won't get that last bit or find it funny, so I'm sorry. But I'm pretty proud of myself for incorporating it, and at least I'm amused by it, right?

So, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is being split into two films. That's a HUGE deal. I'm absolutely over the moon (or over the Luna) about this development. I'm a gigantic Harry Potter fan and not ashamed of it one bit. But most Harry Potter fans are assholes, and they complain about everything. With all the movies, it's been gripe after gripe. "How could they possibly leave this part out? They're including this, but not THAT?!" "The movies are too long." "The movies aren't long enough." "The casting is all wrong." "Michael Gambon is no Richard Harris." It's so annoying! The last "complaint" really irks me. Richard Harris died! What were they supposed to do? Cut Dumbledore out of the last five films? And I think it's wonderful that Gambon has put his own spin on the character. That shows even more respect to Harris. If he came in and just did an impersonation, that would be ridiculous. I love what Gambon has added to Dumbledore.

I've never had any issues with what they did and did not include in the films. Of course, there's stuff I would like to see, but I don't get upset about it. I know it's not realistic to show everything. It's not humanly possible. If they tried to show or even touch upon everything from the books, each movie would be 8 hours long. I give the filmmakers so much credit, and I think they're amazing. They capture the magic and maintain the integrity of the books and always manage to keep the films fresh and exciting. I have no quibbles with their decisions whatsoever. The films are such huge undertakings, and who am I to tell them how to do it? It's an interpretation, and J.K. Rowling always approves, so what more can you want? I'm just grateful that they're doing it at all. Cut them some slack! Give them a break! They have done and will continue to do an extraordinary job with the series.

So, even now, when you would think all the Harry Potter fans would be thrilled about an extra film, there's STILL murmuring and complaining all over the internet. "Why does it have to be split it into two? Can't they fit it all into one?" "Each better be x hours long, otherwise it's a scam." "I can't believe we have to wait six months in between films. That sucks!" All the people who were so pissed about their favorite parts being left out are now upset that there's double the time to fit everything in? I don't get it. As far as waiting six months in between films...get a life. Grow up. You waited forever in between books. What's the difference? The anticipation will be so exciting! Just when you think it's over - BAM! - another film. That's awesome, if you ask me. It's double the Potter! Be grateful! What's an extra 10 bucks, really?

Let me deal with the scam issue for a moment. IS it just a scam to make more money? Perhaps. I'm sure that's a little part of it. I'll play devil's advocate. Maybe they do want to milk the franchise for all its worth. But when you think of how much it'll cost the studio to make another huge budget film, it seems highly unlikely that they would go to all that trouble for selfish financial reasons. J.K. Rowling is cool with it, and that's good enough for me! I believe their cause really is noble, because they truly care about the integrity of the books and films. The people involved with the films believe the last book can't be sacrificed. There's too much in it to cut anything out. I agree. I'm sure there were opportunities before to split films up, and nothing ever happened. It makes sense to do it for the last book. I want every last detail included. I don't want to miss out on anything.

Also, there's a lot of anger about the return of David Yates to direct the last two parts. I thought he did a great job with Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. He was better than Columbus, but not as good as Cuaron or Newell. I'm sure it wasn't for lack of trying to get a different director. The bigwigs always prided themselves on keeping it fresh. They had asked Peter Jackson, and they had been after Guillermo del Toro for a long time. Of course, he had to make Hellboy II. Don't get me started... They obviously have faith in Yates, and I think we should, too. He did a fine job with Order of the Phoenix. Let's see what he does with Half-Blood Prince. Give the man a chance. Okay, I'd prefer another director, just to break it up, but I'm fine with him directing the rest of the franchise. I think he'll evolve and grow and learn with the material. So, be nice to David Yates!

So, scam or not, I don't care. Bring. It. On. All I care about is that I get an extra Harry Potter film. I thought it was going to end at seven, so it's amazing that there's now an eighth. It's that simple. There won't be any compromises in the amount or presentation of the material, and it prolongs the experience. I thought I was going to be Potter-less after fall 2010. Now, I won't be. There will be one last deserved hurrah. I don't care if I have to wait an extra six months until late spring or early summer 2011. In fact, that's great! It'll be so exciting to have that to look forward to, and I'm really intrigued to see where they're going to cut it off at the end of the first part.

The bottom line is this: MORE POTTER. What else matters? This decision is bloody brilliant.

No comments: