Monday, March 3, 2008

Embracing My Inner Fashionista

I know this is really girly, but I'm posting pictures of my favorite red carpet fashion from the 2008 Oscars, and if you're lucky, I'll gush about them, too. I'll even be lame about it at times like the real fashion police. Am I being serious? Am I being tongue-in-cheek? Both? You be the judge!

I happily embrace my girliness, but I won't get all catty and include pictures of the worst dressed or anything. I'm just celebrating the looks I loved (in alphabetical order, to make it easier). What can I say? I like pretty pictures of pretty people!

Let's do the men first. Yes, I know that sounds bad, but I don't care. Bring on the hot men!

Javier Bardem

How To Be Hot, by Javier Bardem:
1. Be Spanish.
2. Be super-talented.
3. Have a sexy accent.
4. Be good-looking, of course.
5. Be best friends with Josh Brolin.
6. Bring your mom to the Oscars. Aww!
The end.

(Muy caliente!)

(Javier, mom, and brother)



Jason Bateman


Yeah, this picture is more about how pretty Jennifer Garner looks and how cute it is that they're having a Juno reunion, but he looks really good, too.



Josh Brolin


Yeah, yeah, Diane Lane, whatever. Josh Brolin is unbelievably gorgeous! But he's devoted and affectionate, so that's sweet, and he's best friends with Javier Bardem, so bonus points there. Brolin is hot, hot, hot.


(Brolin and Bardem...contented sigh. These best buddies love each other so much!)



Johnny Depp

Johnny Depp is always stylish and hot, without even trying. He's the epitome of quirky coolness.



Tommy Lee Jones


Tommy Lee Jones is kind of sexy for an older guy, but I just think this is a fun picture.



Viggo Mortensen

All right, I admit it, he's good-looking. Eastern Promises finally made me come around (and NO, it's NOT because of what you're thinking). I dig the beard, too.


THE WOMEN


You know the fashion is all about the ladies, though. So here they are, in all their fabulousness.


Amy Adams


Amy Adams looks amazing. Her hair matches the dress perfectly. They may have humiliated her on the show by making her sing in a gaping vacuum, but there's no humiliation here.



Cate Blanchett


Cate Blanchett is one of my favorite people ever. She's tremendously classy, eloquent, talented, and humble, and she reminds me so much of old Hollywood. Blanchett looks beautiful in blue, and she was the hottest mom-to-be at the Oscars.


(Bonus picture of Cate with fellow nominee Marion Cotillard)


Diablo Cody

Rock on, Diablo. She's always herself, and that's wizard.

(Cody with Juno producer Mason Novick)



Marion Cotillard


Nothing surprised or delighted me more than Marion Cotillard winning the Best Actress Oscar. The fact that she makes the mermaid look dazzle is just icing on the cake. She was really the belle of the ball. Gorgeous! I love it!



Cameron Diaz


This dress is so magnificent, and Cameron Diaz looks divine.


Anne Hathaway


It took me awhile to warm up to the dress and the bright red against the pale skin, but I'm glad she didn't go for a fake tan, and I love the dress now. Her skin looks like creamy marble, the make-up is incredible, and I love the one shoulder with the flowers. I just love the whole dress. She's a goddess.



Katherine Heigl


Wow. She looks phenomenal. The fire-engine red color looks insanely good on her. This is total classic Hollywood and total Marilyn Monroe. What a great tribute to an icon. The whole look - hair, lipstick, jewelry - is perfection. She's radiant. Heigl gives "blonde bombshell" a whole new meaning. I'm so jealous.



Laura Linney


Laura Linney is so elegant, and the dress fits her wonderfully. She's such a natural beauty, and she's a total sweetheart.

(Bonus shot of Linney rescuing Jennifer Garner from Gary Busey)


Helen Mirren


Helen Mirren is one hot old lady. She's a milf (or grand-milf!) to the extreme. She's exquisitely regal in red.


Ellen Page


I wasn't sure if I liked Ellen Page's look at first, but it grew on me. I like it because it's simple and unassuming and completely in line with her personality. She's not trying to be someone else. I feel bad for her because she's obviously so uncomfortable with all the attention, but she's a trooper. This is apparently a vintage dress from circa-1920s, so that's awesome. It's a cool flapper look, and the hair and necklace pull it together.


Saoirse Ronan


Oh, I love her! She's so cute! I think the dress is pretty, and I love what she said about it: "I chose green because I'm Irish. I wanted to walk down the red carpet and let everyone know I'm Irish." Awww...


Keri Russell

Keri Russell gave one of my favorite performances last year (or ever) in Waitress. She looks fresh and lovely in this dress, which complements her delicate frame and features perfectly. She's one of my very, very favorites this year. Simply stunning.


Hilary Swank

Hilary Swank has one of the most impossibly perfect bodies ever. She's always a total knock-out.


Renée Zellweger

Renée Zellweger totally shocked me. She looks outstanding! She manages to look as cute as a button and unbelievably sexy at the same time. The color is astounding, and she looks like a dream. I love the hair, too. Très chic!


And finally...


Jennifer Garner


I've saved my absolute favorite for last. In my opinion, Jennifer Garner was the best-dressed of the night by a mile. It wasn't just the dress, though, even though it's exquisite, it fits her like a glove, and the detailing is extraordinary, especially on the bottom. She's the total package. The whole look is so polished and elegant. I love the dress, the jewelry, the make-up, and the hair. I love everything about her. She makes it look effortless. Than again, she always does. I think Jennifer Garner is one of the most beautiful women ever, and she's such a sweet, genuine person. She deserved a Supporting Actress nomination for Juno, and maybe even a win.


Jennifer Garner is every other adjective I've used to describe everyone else and more. She's a stunning, beautiful, sexy, hot, classy, divine, exquisite, gorgeous goddess. She's pure perfection.



Well, there you have it. My first Oscar fashion review. I hope you enjoyed it! I sure did, as you can obviously tell. I didn't even say as many lame, cliché things as I thought I would! So, now that my superficial quota for the year has been met, I will bid you adieu. But hey, I'm not going to be ashamed of spending so much time putting this together (it took a LONG time, trust me). I just like admiring beauty. Who doesn't? And when it's as glamorous as this, I simply can't resist.

No comments: