Friday, February 22, 2008

I Hear Shiva, The God of Death is an Excellent Writer

I plan on writing my full review later on Suite101 (please look for it!), but something's really bothering me, so I just have to ask something...

Am I the only person in the world who isn't in love with Michael Clayton? I feel really alone in this opinion. I just finished watching it, and I don't get it. What's with the glowing critical praise and overwhelming audience appeal? What's the big deal? What's so revolutionary? It's not terrible, but it's certainly not great either. I was thinking for awhile that it was just a good, average, okay movie. But the more I think about it, I don't believe that. It's below average, bad even. I disliked it quite a bit, and I'm so irritated about all the Oscar nominations it stole from better films.

Thank Shiva, The God of Death for Tom Wilkinson. What a miraculous performance. I've always loved him, since I first saw him in The Full Monty, and I think he just keeps getting better and better. You put him next to George Clooney and it's like watching Orson Welles act opposite Desi Arnaz on I Love Lucy. Okay, that might be a little mean, because Clooney does a really good job, but the talent level gap between them is astronomical.

Maybe Tony Gilroy should have let Shiva, The God of Death take a crack at Michael Clayton. It probably would have been more entertaining.

Rating: ** (out of 5)

No comments: