Monday, February 18, 2008

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake of Comedy

I thought the sneak peak for Pineapple Express on the Superbad DVD looked AWFUL. It was so long and boring, and it made me have no desire to see it.

But how could I possibly doubt the genius of Judd Apatow and everything he stands for, comedy-wise? I've seen the Red Band trailer, and I'm convinced. It looks hilarious, but judge for yourself. I had the YouTube video posted on here, but it's been removed by Apatow and Co. (Co. meaning the studio), which I think is rather silly. Still, if you want to see it, go here: http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/pineappleexpress/

You'll have to jump through a couple small hoops, like entering your name, birthday, and zip code, but it's worth it.

I predict this will be a smart stoner comedy with a heart. It actually looks kind of sweet. In fact, the best friends played by Seth Rogen and James Franco (finally acting for a change!) are totally Michael Cera and Jonah Hill in Superbad. I really do love Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle. I think that has brains and a heart, too. And I'm looking forward to their new movie with its totally non-PC premise, justifiably scathing criticism of stereotypes perpetuated by Americans, and just America bashing in general. But I have a feeling that the Apatow-produced stoner movie will be better. The man's pretty infallible right now.

Pineapple Express is co-written by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg (who co-wrote Superbad), with Judd Apatow pitching in on story development, and it's directed by, of all people, indie darling David Gordon Green. He's brilliant, but this is so far from what he usually does that it's practically in Antarctica. So bizarre, and totally intriguing.

I thought this looked terrible at first, but I'm a believer now. With all the people involved, it's a sure-fire recipe for success.

Right?

No comments: